Chat Room Etiquette
Is this your first time chatting?....well below are a few rules to follow when chatting on the Internet:
1. Be respectful to other chatters. If someone is disrespectful to you, ignore them istead of arguing with them. Avoid the use of language or attitudes which may be offensive to others.
2. When entering a new room, take a few minutes to get a feel for the climate of the room before jumping in. If you do not like the room, simply go somewhere else.
3. Use proper judgment when selecting a nickname that you will use in the chat room. Avoid obscene nicknames.
4. Remember that you are not anonymous. Most chat rooms keep files of all interactions. When you log on the chat server it has a record of what your IP is. Remember that no chat is private. The chat server keeps files and can identify your IP. They can forward the files to your ISP who can pinpoint the exact address of where the PC he/she was using is located.
5. Address the person by their nickname or handle when chatting. People cannot make eye contact in these rooms so it can get confusing if you are not clear about who you are directing the message to.
6.Use caps only for emphasis. Constant "shouting" can be annoying.
7. Do not use your real name or reveal your address or any other personal information in a chat room.
8. Users in chat may insult or verbally abuse you. In fact, there are many instances where a user joins chat rooms just to annoy others. While your instinct may be to fireback, try to restrain yourself from doing so.
9. Respect and welcome all newcomers to the chat. Remember, you were once a "newbie".
10. Most importantly, enjoy your time in the chat rooms and never take things too seriously. Chat etiquette is something we all should use.